RECOGNITION IN THE GRAND RAPIDS SPORTS HALL OF FAME
Recognition is based on a number of
factors including participation
at the professional, semiprofessional, amateur, or collegiate level,
and subsequent contribution to civic life. The induction process is
rigorous, making it a true honor to be inducted into the Grand
Rapids Sports Hall of Fame.
Inductees to the GRSHOF are selected
from an outstanding group of nominees. Each has excelled in his or
her sport, and many have also made significant contributions to
civic life in Michigan and elsewhere.
MAKE A NOMINATION
You may use
this printable form
(requires Acrobat Reader) for your nomination. Please send the
nomination form and/or copies (please no originals as they will not
be returned) of any supporting nominating materials to:
Grand Rapids Sports Hall of Fame
c/o Mark Kimball
4585 40th St NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49512
- or -
Induction nominations are
accepted between January 1 and March 31 every year.
In order to consider a person, team,
or group for nomination to the Grand Rapids Sports Hall of Fame, the
criteria listed below must be met and the procedures followed. The
Board reserves the right to modify said criteria and procedures by
majority vote of the Board of Trustees.
1. Distinguished participation in or contribution to,
interscholastic, intercollegiate, amateur, or professional sports.
2. Distinguished participation in, or contribution to sports
shall include athletes, coaches, trainers, promoters, sports media
personalities, teams, groups and anyone deemed eligible by the
3. A nominee must be a native-born Grand Rapids area person,
a resident of Western Michigan, or a team or entity located in the
greater Grand Rapids area during the time of their distinguished
participation in, or contribution to sports.
4. A "Participating Nominee" must be retired from competitive
participation in the area of his or her nomination for a period of
three (3) years prior to nomination. A "Participating Nominee" is
defined as an individual who actively participated as an athlete in
their chosen sport and who was recognized for significant
achievement in that sport. A "Contributing Nominee" may be nominated
anytime deemed appropriate by the trustees. A "Contributing Nominee"
is defined as a individual, team, athletic program or group who has
made a significant contribution to the advancement of sports in the
greater Grand Rapids area or whose performance warrants special
5. Nominations can be made by anyone to the Grand Rapids
Sports Hall Of Fame Board of Trustees. A written resume of each
nominated candidate must be presented to the Board of Trustees prior
to the election.
6. Election to the Grand Rapids Sports Hall of Fame shall
require an affirmative vote of 75% of the Trustees. The voting will
be by secret ballot. Trustees need not be present to vote but may do
so by written declarations or by proxy.
7. While each nominee's athletic achievements are of prime
consideration, their conduct and record as a citizen after the
conclusion of their athletic endeavors is also weighted.
8. Induction into the Grand Rapids Sports Hall Of fame shall
take place at a time and place deemed appropriate by the Grand
Rapids Sports Hall of Fame Board of Trustees.
9. LEGENDS: The Legends category recognizes a bygone era of
sports, honoring those West Michigan athletes who have distinguished
themselves at a local, state, or national level.
10. In order for a team to be placed for nomination, the Grand Rapids Sports Hall of Fame Board of Trustees will consider a.) each candidate's degree of achievement; b.) the uniqueness of the accomplishment c.) the degree of difficulty of the achievement; d.) whether or not the accomplishment could be replicated by another in the near future.